Thursday, May 22, 2008

Day 3 of Hacker Hockey

Well....
I know it's been a while, but I finally found an adult hockey/skating skills class.

The guy who runs it was my sons learn to skate coach ... And he is fantastic. A real nutball who gets us motivated quickly.


The first two sessions were very tough for me as I still can't skate backwards and do a full hockey stop. And not to mention, I am completely out of shape.

So my goal going in to the class were to get through the entire hour without getting off the ice and taking a break to rest the legs and feet which were killing me by 30 minutes in!

The first class was an eye opener for me, in so far as the skills i thought I had were nowhere near what they actually were!
I need to work on my crossovers on both sides ... keeping my head up ... and cardio endurance!

The second class was a little better as far as my conditioning, but durring our scrimmage is where I noticed something very interesting.
I was so focused on the play, that I kind of forgot to worry about my skating and just did it! I actually had a break away and scored a goal ... albeit a sloppy one.

Tonight is my 3rd class and my focus tonight will be to really try and get the mechanics of the backwards stride.

I will think twice now when I think about telling Max to skate harder!


Keep your stick on the ice

No comments: