Monday, September 10, 2007

Did you know ice is slippery?

I think the next few classes that Max attended, were the hardest for him....coach Mike was really pushing Max to loose the cone. Max really liked the cone...the cone is good...love the cone. Eventually he let it go and found that he could stand without it and actually had a nice stride...he fell on his butt alot, however he got right back up every time....no complaints. Now, this is the time where the coaches started introducing little games to the kids.
After a few lessons later,the head coach, Therese set up an obstacle course of cones and drew a path on the ice with black marker for the kids to go through and at the end they got to dive across the finish line. This is where Max really started to get frustrated, because there were kids who were much better skaters than him. They were passing him...and if you know Max, you know he likes to be in the lead. As I said in the last post, Max is very competitive and does not deal well with not being the best. He started to trow some mini fits and there were a few tears....Coach Mike stopped those actions pretty quick...."There's no crying in hockey!!!!! You're on my time!!!" I really beleive that if it wasn't for coach Mike, Max would not have tried as hard as he did....Max always was eager to show coach Mike that he learned a new skill.

So, I have most of the tools i need to go skating................yep.............allrighty then.......Stalling? What? I'm scared to death!
I finally get up enough courage to go to an open skate at Darien.
I have been practicing lacing up my skates and walking around in them at home often, so I am not woried about my ankles colapsing, I am worried about screwing up my already weak knees however. I go to the rink and start to get al my gear on.
Skates first, then shin guards, elbo pads, helmet, gloves...pull on a practice jersey and walk into the rink for the first time.
There was a little girl and her figure skating coach already on the ice as well as a woman practiceing jumps...great...i'm going to kill myself and take some poor inocent bystander with me when i go down


I walk from the lobby to the doors of the rink and step onto the ice.......


Keep your stick on the ice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ive bookmarked this, and im following it!

go for it dude!!!

mattzilla ( msh-er )