Monday, September 3, 2007



First day of classes.





I remember not being able to get to sleep the night before Max's first lesson, because I was so exited for him! Or maybe it was me I was exited for...either way, we (or should I say "I") woke up at about 6:30 am to get breakfast ready and get all the gear packed. I told my wife I wanted to leave no later thatn 7:15, to get to the rink at 7:30 for his 8am class. I wanted enough time to get his gear on and to make sure that we were where we were supposed to be. We arrived at the rink and got Max all suited up and I walked him to the ice where coach Mike was setting things up. Who is coach Mike you say? Well let me tell you...

The day before we had gone to the rink to check the lay of the land and we wandered into the East rink and there happened to be a practice going on for one of the older kids teams...We stayed and watched for a while and when the kids and coaches were coming off the ice a coach came up to us and asked if we were going to skate today. I said that we were there to just observe and that my son was starting his classes tomorrow. He said his name was Mike and he would be coaching Max...he really engaged him and got him all reved up for the next day...all the way home Max could not stop talking about how crazy coach Mike was.

So, after we walked in, max was invited to come out on the ice....as you can guess, as soon as stepped on the ice he fell. He was very nervous from this moment on...I don't think he was expecting the sensation of steel on ice. Mike quickly got a traffic cone for Max and off he went, very scarred at first but by the end of the hour he had some decent push and glide motion going. At the end of the lesson coach Mike plays some dance music and does goofy skating routines with the kids to always end the day on an upbeat note. Also he gave the kids rides on the net pulling them around the rink and stuff.

When Max came off the ice, we took his gear off and he was smiling from ear to ear, drenched in sweat!

I think he likes it.

Keep your stick on the ice

No comments: