Friday, September 7, 2007

Progress

In the interest of saving time and getting up to speed, I am going to try and sumarize the first few classes.

Max loves all the equipment involved in hockey.....he uses the traffic cone to skate.....he gets rides on the net from coach Mike...He wants a cherry Coke after his lessons.

He continues to have fun with it....every Sunday morning he shows a little improvement...gaining confidence with little triumphs.

Max and I are playing street hockey in the driveway almost every day now, and our garage door is showing the effects! Every now and then we will walk over to the park by our house that has an inline rink and goof around there as well. Max always has to be in his gear of course...shin gaurds, gloves, elbow pads.....he is a male you know.....we all love the gear!

Sitting in the rink, watching Max's lessons and to be more specific, the coaches skating, has really started to spark alot of desire from me to learn to skate and play hockey. So I have a talk with my wife telling her that I would like to be able to skate with Max and eventually play a little mens leauge hockey at some point. God bless her...she tells me to go for it! The advice I got from alot of people was that without ice time, Max would not progress. One day a week would not be enough for him. So, my first thought was, I can take him to open skates and just let him go alone...yeah, that sounds fun for him.....or I can get out there with him. It also would be good to see his dad struggle with the learning process also. Max wants to succeed at all he does, and he gets frustrated very easily, so I thought if sees his old man trying hard and practicing, he might do the same.

So it's of to the hockey shop I go!

Now, I have to tell you, I am totally nervous about doing this because a previous attempt at skating was a complete failure. Could not even stand on the ice...ankles turned in....falling...total wash. As I learned when I went in to get fitted for skates, I had the wrong size skates.....I wear a size 13 mens, so that's what i thought I needed. Nuh,uh.....wrong....The guy at the store tells me I need a size 10.5 E in a CCM Vector 6.0

Seemed tight at first, but with the proper fit and a heat mold he said they would not be as bad as I am thinking...OK we'll go with that...what the hell do I know. So he comes back after baking the skates, laces me up and had me sit there for a few minutes....wow do these things feel great warm!!!! I am totally impressed with the level of service at this place...goes to show you that prices may be cheaper on the web, but you can't get the kind of personal service that your local hockey shop provides.
I pick up a helmet.

Shingaurds

and some new gloves

and prepare to go home and explain the credit card bill to my wife.

Next time we hit the ice!!


Keep your stick on the ice.

No comments: